Someone I trust and admire once told me “Your business is defined by your No’s.”
Think about that for a moment. Because as soon as you finish reading this email:
- Someone wants to grab lunch with you – YES/NO
- Staff needs to steal 10 minutes – YES/NO
- You’re invited to attend a new training event – YES/NO
- PR opportunities just became available – YES/NO
- Client wants to meet; but Saturday is the only time available – YES/NO
Austin Kleon, in writing his book Steal Like An Artist, sums up this point of view perfectly stating:
“Be as generous as you can, but selfish enough to get your work done.”
And if you’d like to see Austin’s universal script for saying “no” to just about any situation, CHECK OUT this link.
Too many people, activities and outright distractions are constantly vying for your attention. Don’t give it to them.
No, no, no, no, no, YES!
Let’s move forward on that one with passion.